Basic Estate Planning Documents
Last Will & Testament
- Sets forth how your personal effects and other probate assets are to be distributed at the time of your death;
- Appoints an executor or personal representative to carry out and administer your estate;
- Designates a guardian for any minor children at your death; and;
- Prevents mismanagement of an inheritance by establishing a trust for younger beneficiaries with distributions of principal at certain ages and additional distributions as needed for health, education, maintenance, and support.
- Appoints an individual to handle your financial affairs if you become disabled or otherwise incapacitated.
- Appoints an individual to make your healthcare decisions if you become disabled or otherwise incapacitated.
- Authorizes release of information by your healthcare providers in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Instructs your doctors and physicians with regard to life-prolonging measures and medical treatment when you are in an irreversible state and death is imminent.